My life’s work and this campaign are based on a set of values that ground my work. The first is the Nguzo Saba. I seek to live by these values daily. Additionally I have a second set of values that speak to how I show up in the work.
Umoja (Unity): To strive for and to maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race.
Kujichagulia (Self-Determination): To define and name ourselves, as well as to create and speak for ourselves.
Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility): To build and maintain our community together and make our brothers’ and sisters’ problems our problems and to solve them together.
Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics): To build and maintain our own stores, shops, and other businesses and to profit from them together.
Nia (Purpose): To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.
Kuumba (Creativity): To do always as much as we can, in the way we can, in order to leave our community more beautiful and beneficial than we inherited it.
Imani (Faith): To believe with all our hearts in our people, our parents, our teachers, our leaders, and the righteousness and victory of our struggle.
- Respect – members of the village are respected without judgement; meeting each where they are.
- Equity – All members of the village have value and expertise and all expertise is valued equally.
- Reciprocity – Everyone gives and everyone receives, everyone learns and everyone teaches; there is the expectation that all members of the village will give and receive in achieving the goals of the group.
- Partnership – the village will work together to find solutions that work well for everyone and will look for shared truth in achieving goals.
- Empowerment – The village will provide opportunities for people to gain the knowledge, skills, and confidence to find their voice and speak their truth
- Support – As a village we should stand at the ready to provide support when needed.
- Transparency– Show up authentically and stay that way. Tell the truth and don’t keep secrets.